Sunday, March 29, 2015

Trauma Victims Aren't The Ones At Fault

When I decided to get help for depression as well as other psychiatric issues back in 2000, I knew that some people who've been victimized, such as victims of rape, assault, etc. blamed what happened to them on themselves.  However, I didn't realize that so many victims blamed themselves until I went into group therapy back then.


For years, I've wondered how someone could have something traumatic happen to them caused by their victimizer or victimizers, who did something terrible to them on purpose, yet it's somehow the victims fault?


Sounds strange to me.


Unfortunately, many people in our society in the U.S. think that if one or more victimizers does something terrible to a victim on purpose, that it's partially the victims fault.  And that's part of why so many victims think it's their fault.


But this kind of thinking doesn't make sense to me.  To me it's completely the victimizers fault because they're the ones who decided to do something bad to someone innocent.  They made that choice.  And the victimizer is the criminal, not the victim.







No comments:

Post a Comment