Saturday, January 17, 2015

When A Doctor Won't Tell You What The Possible Side Effects Of A New Medication Being To Prescribed To You Are

Some medical doctors are more knowledgeable and competent than others.  And some divulge more information than others if you ask them medical questions.


However, any doctor should be able to give you at least some information if he or she decides to prescribe you medications, such as possible side effects, and what the risks and benefits are of the medication(s) you're being prescribed.


Years ago, I saw a medical doctor who, when he'd prescribed me a medication, wouldn't tell me hardly any of the potential side effects of the medication he was prescribing me.  I'd ask him what some of the side effects were, and he'd say "The medication may make you sleepy."  From there, I'd ask him about what else their were for possible side effects.  He'd then say, "The pharmacist will give you more information."


It's impossible for even the best medical doctors to be able to remember every possible side effect to every single medication.  It would be information overload.  But this guy wouldn't tell me anything.  It's like he was hiding information from me that I had the right to now.


If you go on a new medication, the doctor should be able at least some of the possible side effects of the pills you're taking and how much chance their are of the medication causing these potential side effects.  If the doctor won't say, tell him or her that you want to know what it is you want to know.


It's your body and your health, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment