Friday, December 12, 2014

Those With Physical Disabilities Are Already Aware Of It

Anyone who has a physical disability that others can visibly see can relate to this post.

I used to be on medication that caused my hands to tremor from time to time.  And obviously, I was aware of it.  How could I not be?

Yet despite the fact that I was well aware of it, every so often someone would point it out to me (as if I already wasn't self-conscious about it).  Most people meant no harm by it.  But their curiosity would sometimes get the best of them and they'd ask me about it.  Yeah, like it was something I wanted to talk to them (or anyone) about anyhow.

However, I wasn't super-sub-conscious about it.  But some people with a problem such as this are.  And who can blame them?

I had a friend who had a physical condition (I won't say what the condition is) who was very sub-conscious about it.  Unlike me, this person had been dealing with this problem all of this person's life.  And when someone, such as a customer at this person's job, pointed it out to this person, it could really ruin this person's day.

I know many people mean well.  But I must say it's pretty darned ignorant to go up to someone and ask them about a physical problem they have.

So please, for those out there who don't see how upsetting it is for people who already are having a difficult time dealing with their physical issues, it's time that I point out that enough is enough.  Everyone needs to realize that it's not OK to bring it up unless the person with a physical issue brings it up first.  After all, it's nobody else's business, and it doesn't help matters to bring it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment