Monday, December 22, 2014

Does Not Watching Violent News Stories On TV Help?

I've never been the biggest fan of watching local, national, and world news on TV considering that most of the stories reported are negative and involved violence.  And especially when I was a teenager, I hated the fact that our world has violence in it.


For years, a friend of mine recommended that I not watch the news.  He pointed out that there isn't much point in watching news that's very negative considering that there is nothing I could do about it anyway.  I can't save the world, after all.


Finally, a number of years ago, I decided to take his advice.  I stayed away from watching the news on TV.  I did this for several months.


So did it help me emotionally?


Honestly, not much.  The reason was because I knew that there was just as much violence going on in the world.  Just because I stopped watching the news on TV didn't mean that the amount of violence going on was decreasing any.  I knew that there was just as much violence happening.  I didn't know the specific stories was all.


However, just because staying away from watching the news on TV didn't work for me so great doesn't mean that it wouldn't work for you.  I'd encourage you to try it if you'd like!

No comments:

Post a Comment